Eric,

I could not agree with you more. But I have to say that IBM messed up
when they add feature to the database that can only be accessed via SQL.
So now you have features that you can only use via SQL and others that
are accessible via Native interface. SQL is a "Standard Query Language"
that SHOULD be the same regardless of the back end database. While
most database systems used to offer a native interface via API's that
was faster and more robust than the SQL interface. SQL was developed,
not by Microsoft, to give users the ability to look at their data stored
in a database for ad hoc reporting and analysis. It has since become
the defacto standard for accessing and updating data.

I think SQL is great if you are a software house and want your product
to run against multiple platforms and databases, but I like native
access for in-house development. But depending on what you are doing,
SQL and Native I/O are just tools to get the job done. Pick the one
that makes your job easier and gives you the performance you need.

For software developers, program in the language that will allow you to
install your software on the widest selection of systems available. But
make your software generic enough to run on MVS, OS400, Unix, Window and
what ever else there might be now and in the future.

Chris Bipes
Director of Information Services
CrossCheck, Inc.