From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Frank.Kolmann@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:59 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Modernization and multi-member files

Dave

You have piqued my curiousity. What is so great about mainframe DB2.
I remember when 'large shops' considered S/3's as toyshops and laughed
at us but we still ran as many applications as they did with a tenth
of the staff, and no system programmers.
I never considered 'large shops' as paragons of intelligence, quite
the reverse.

Now IBM thinks it has killed off the GSD Division are you some sort
of evangalist for IBM mainframes and are saying that AS400 shops should
migrate over to mainframes (wash my mouth out), I'd sooner migrate to
Bills MS.

FWIW, from the beginning I never saw the point of multi-member files,
except for source.

Message from "Dave Odom" <Dave.Odom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>on Wed, 16 Jul 2008
18:07:19 -0700
But, if the i5 want's to play in the big league (where I think it can
play
to a large extent), it needs to grow up and offer another more
sophisticated
alternative like mainframe DB2.
Ahhhhh, now we may be getting at the real reason why the i5 doesn't
implement
DB2 like the real DB2s and why the i5 is not considered by large
shops...)
IBM doesn't want Rochester and Santa Teresa/Toronto to really compete.
Just a thought.
Frank Kolmann