In the beginning there was the single threaded jobq. Valuable for stacking up jobs that need to run in a particular order or preventing mutually exclusive jobs from running at the same time.

When a job crashes with a hard error the job queue is stopped.

Not exactly a great way to run an enterprise however.

Enter a robust scheduler system like IBM Advanced or Help Systems Robot.

Now that's the way to run an enterprise.

My two bits.

Jerry

Quoting Dave Boettcher <DBoettch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

It is possible, though that the steps use SBMJOB which may be the reason why they suggest a single threaded job queue.

hth,

Dave B

"Wilt, Charles" <WiltC@xxxxxxxxxx> 06/27/08 12:26 PM >>>

Booth,

A series of steps that must be run in order sounds like a CL program to me...

Single threaded jobs queues make sense for jobs that would conflict with each other. Check generation
for instance...you usually don't want multiple people running checks at the same time.

Only a CL program can ensure "steps are run in order" a single threaded job queue won't guarantee that
as there are variables, ie. priority, which determine what job to pull off next.

HTH,

Charles Wilt
--
Software Engineer