Perhaps one of:

UPDATE MYLIB/MFFILE
SET substr(myFLD, 6, 4) = '0000'
WHERE myFLD = substr(myFLD, 6, 8) = ''

UPDATE MYLIB/MFFILE
SET myFLD = substr(myFld, 1, 5) CONCAT '0000'
-- optionally add: CONCAT ' '
WHERE myFLD = substr(myFLD, 6, 8) = ''

However I am suspicious that the described scenario may not completely describe the full intent. Are there other data points that are being overlooked? Perhaps there may be also values like:
MYFLD='123 ' which should become
MYFLD='1230000 '?
For that value, the current selection would include like values, but the results would instead become:
MYFLD='123 0000 '

Regards, Chuck

Shaheen Ahmed wrote:
I need to update a 12 characters field starting from
position 6 to 9 with '0000' using interactive SQL.
First I need to check if the 12 character field starting from
position 6 to 12 is blank
then update this field from start position 6 with 0000.
Before MYFLD = '12345 ' <ed: removed extra blanks>
After MYFLD = '123450000 '
Something like this UPDATE MYLIB/MFFILE SET myFLD = substr(myFLD,6,4) ='0000'
where myFLD = substr(myFLD,6,8) =' '