hi Joe

I THINK Larry meant that if your load source goes, replace it and get into DST to recover stuff - you have not done an IPL yet when in DST, as I recall. But I've not had to do this - crossing fingers - and I'm just trying to understand it, too. Seems the original poster had it go and did this very thing.

Later
Vern

From: Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks as always, Rob.

So I have this:

System Unit 9406-270 FR01
Backplane 283E P19 DB1
Disk Unit * 6718-074 P06 D01
Disk Unit 6718-074 P08 D02
Disk Unit 6718-074 P11 D03
Disk Unit 6718-074 P10 D04
Disk Unit 6718-070 P09 D05
Disk Unit 6718-070 P20 D06

That's six drives in a RAID set. Works nicely, everybody is happy. But
from the way I read Larry's statement, if D01 goes, I'm SOL. Is the
better option to somehow mirror two of them for the load source and then
put the other four in a RAID set? I'd lose one drive of effective
space, or 20% of my total. And can this even be done without some
serious hoop jumping (i.e. reloading the system)?

Joe

STRSST
1. Start a service tool
7. Hardware service manager
1. Packaging hardware resources (systems, frames, cards,...)
9=Hardware contained within package (On various items until you see
something like)
Type- Resource
Description Model Name Location
Disk Expansion Unit 5787-001 FR10
Backplane 505C P144 P1
Disk Unit * 4328-070 P60 P1-D1
* - Indicates that this packaging hardware resource is the
load source disk unit or the IOP that the disk unit is
attached to.