All,

We have some old Telxon PTC-600 handhelds that we have used for many many many many years to take physical inventory. The 'scans' are held in the Telxon while roaming the warehouse, then transmitted in batches to a receiving PC via phone line. The PC file is FTP'ed to the System i where it is parsed and handled and away we go.

I want to replace this system. The ultimate would be wireless handheld scanners and access points throughout the warehouse, but a full warehouse automation is not in the cards right now. I'm looking for scanners that will still batch the scans, but be able to transmit to the System i directly. And I want to be able to use them for wireless in the warehouse later on when the warehouse is set up for it.

Questions:

1) What are the good scanner brands these days?
2) How are they programmed?
3) We have 2 access points in the office. Couldn't the scanning take place in the warehouse, then, when coming to the office, tell the scanners to transmit?
4) Data transfer can be 2 ways, right?
5) How about the belt attached printers. Are those available that will print labels?

Thanks for any help.