Chuck,

History: Our email started out as MSMail. For our common mail server we
had a dedicated AS/400 and simply used shared folders on that. We didn't
set up guest user profiles. So all the email users needed access to that
machine. However, they had NO need for 5250 access. Some were getting
that accidentally. Tried to use QAUTOCRT and QAUTOVRT to stop that. Did
NOTHING. I suspected that Client Access did a RMTCMD CRTDEVDSP and
renamed the command to stop that situation. Was effective. Little did I
know that OS programs that detected that you attached a new device varied
the old one off, ran DLTDEVD to blast it, and then ran CRTDEVDSP to
recreate it. I figured IBM would have used the appropriate APIs directly.
Now, if Client Access had done a RTVSYSVAL of one of the QAUTO* family of
commands and told you to kiss off if you tried to create a device there I
would have been better off.

<snip>
I would expect those here defending a Twinax Console, are not suggesting
that everyone should be setting up Twinax devices across an enterprise.
</snip>
I would think that the most fervent would differ with you. I am sure
there are those who feel that the users should be doing all their
spreadsheets, email, word processing and "traditional" applications using
5250 via twinax. There have been programs marketed in the past to do just
that.
As much as I prefer WDSC over SEU there are times I wish I had my old
OV/400 word processor over MS Word. Especially when I am using Merge
documents and Word breaks the hundred or so tags to subdocuments and I
have to redo them.