Thompson, Steve wrote:

How do you price maint, upgrades, hardware swaps, etc. to ensure that
you have sufficient revenue to continue in business?

Steve:

Thank you for providing a thread for this discussion. It does indeed need community input and should have ISVs contributing to the discussion as well.

Unfortunately, many ISV participants here are developers for ISVs rather than from upper management. The pricing policies certainly aren't set by us developers where I'm currently employed; rather, they're set somewhere in the sales/marketing/finance groups. I'm not at all clear that sales/marketing/finance management from many significant ISVs will have much to say here. I don't know if many know much about these forums at all.

However, some of us _do_ forward things we find here to our management. Not much more we can do.

As developers, we have both general and specific restrictions on what we can say. That's how stuff works when you have an employer. You don't hand out the really good and useful knowledge that is part of the value of your employer's products (which sometimes means we stay quiet when we have something that could be said) and you don't put out many statements that cast negative light on employer policies (which also means we stay quiet, etc.)

But I can say something about lawyers.

When you're in business and contracts get involved, there's a near guarantee that lawyers are in there somewhere. (I'm already wondering if I've said too much! :-) )

Lawyers are paid by the "company" and are pretty much dedicated to the "company" perspective. They are not interested in whether company customers are happy. They are paid for their expertise in business/contract law. If they say something that contradicts a developer viewpoint, there's little doubt which way it gets resolved.

So, licensing...

We have begun conversion from a proprietary licensing scheme to take advantage of IBM software product APIs and related licensing functions. It has /not/ been a trivial undertaking.

The IBM documentation was far from perfect when I started with it. The product code wasn't well structured for it in its existing forms. The understanding of its implications wasn't fully developed in the various company divisions.

And the available IBM-supplied methods for setting license attributes weren't exactly suited for handling any of our products in the ways that finance/sales/marketing wanted it done.

Further, lawyers gave input on how to protect "company" assets.

Let's say a prospective customer obtains a copy of a product with a license key. The install is on a 'test' system. A couple weeks later, that customer calls to say the product is going to be moved to the 'production' system and can they please have an appropriate license key?

The "company" owners, or the venture capitalists, or the stockholders, whoever has been financing things, want to be sure that this is really moving the product to a new system, rather than just getting a new license for free.

Or maybe the customer consolidated ten systems to a new 10-LPAR system and now wants just a single license key for the new serial number. Somebody near the top of the "company" is on the hook for protecting "company" assets; a license key for a given serial number can work in each LPAR. (It's possible to generate unique keys per LPAR, but it's kind of a kludge.)

So, here we are, trying to improve the product by jettisoning old proprietary license code, by standardizing on LPP creation through IBM-supplied APIs, by enabling standardized PTF handling, by standardizing on reasonably familiar SAV/RST/DLTLICPGM, by using standard ADDLICKEY and WRKLICINF and all the other things that most customers have already seen.

And it mostly revolves around the licensing APIs in order to provide protection so that the "company" owners can get lawyers to 'OK' the structure.

But, IBM hasn't been particularly consistent in its licensing definitions. Per CPU? Per user? Concurrent user? Registered user? (LPAR? Fractional LPAR? LPAR w/AIX? Linux?)And IBM hasn't been particularly consistent in the image it's presented of what "AS/400 or iSeries or System i or..." has been. Original flavor? Server systems? Back-end database servers?

How is it possible to provide an appropriate level of quality for any given customer? One customer might have mostly green-screen apps doing traditional interactive work. The next customer might have a monster system with (near) zero interactive CPW and all host servers running transactions under QUSER. The next customer might be under restrictive regulations where almost every connection has its own specified user.

IBM gave us really only a few options. Basically, we can license by serial#/processor group, or we can license by user. If we want to off-load the effort needed for proprietary licensing, proprietary install, proprietary upgrade, proprietary PTFs and any related stuff, and put effort where it really should be -- into real product code -- we are mostly dependent on the licensing technology that goes along with it.

Here, we have mostly gotten through the 'software products APIs' mine field. We're finally well into serious product improvement on a significant scale.

So, what can be done about pricing?

What should I forward to my management? It's clear that there are major dissatisfactions with some approaches to licensing. What suggestions are out there that will get my bosses to pay attention and to come up with a rational pricing structure? Assets need protection or they simply won't be sold (licensed). How can protection and customer satisfaction be balanced?

I will gladly see to it that my management sees meaningful replies. I'm pretty sure other ISVs have members here that will do the similarly.

Maybe this group can outline a truly useful strategy. (Hmmm... a policy kind of thing in the Midrange Wiki? Eventually. Maybe.)

Tom Liotta