Shannon

Did you use the same addressing on the new router as the old? What DSL provider are you using. Since I'm right down the road, I have experience with a number of them available to us.

-Jim

Scott Klement wrote:
I understand what you're saying. Remember what NAT does... it lets you use one public IP address to be shared amongst many computers. The "normal" way of doing things in TCP/IP is one address per network interface (which is usually one per computer). So NAT is trying to "fool" the Internet into thinking that there's only one computer connected.

For outgoing connections, it's not a problem. It sees a connection request from an internal IP address, so it knows what the specific internal IP address is. It maintains a table that associates that IP address with a given connection.

For outgoing data, however, there's a bigger problem. someone on the Internet has requested a connection to the public Internet IP address. Which computer behind the NAT firewall should it go to? If there are many, how can it know which computer to route it to?

The answer is that you configure your NAT router to tell it. Connections on port 23 go to IP address x.x.x.x, connections on port 80 go to ip address y.y.y.y, etc. You have to specify exactly where a given port should be routed.

Some routers have a way of setting up a "default machine" (or DMZ machine) so any incoming connection request is routed to a particular machine by default, regardless of port number.

So you need to have NAT turned on. And you either need to set up your iSeries as the default machine for incoming connections, or you need to map the particular ports that you want to use (23=telnet, 21=ftp, 25=smtp, 80=http, etc) to go to the iSeries.

Hope that makes sense.

Shannon ODonnell wrote:
I don't disagree with you.

But with Nat turned ON, I was not able to get to the iSeries.

Granted, it's probably because of some other combination of things I have
set up that required me to turn NAT off to make it work...but there you go.

I hate working with the networking side of things. I do it so infrequently
that I never remember from one year to the next what I did on some previous
setup to make it all play nice together.