BirgittaHauser wrote:
Hi,

With Row_Number you won't get duplicates, i.e. each row gets ist own
counter.
With Dense_Rank you can have several first "places", several second "places"
etc.
As far as I have understood, he wanted to have the same number for all rows
with the same fiscal year, group and source code. That's why I used
Dense_Rank instead of Row_Number.
But there is an other OLAP ranking function, RANK().
Like DENSE_RANK duplicates are allowed, but if there are 2 first places, the
next counter will be 3.
I understand. The reason mine worked was that I grouped by identical keys, so row_number worked for me, but I only got one row for each unique key. In your case, you select the key fields and dense_rank and you would get every row.

Thanks for the explanation.

Joe