MEMBER would be an index field or a key field, but does it have to be
primary key? After all, unless Jeff allows duplicate order numbers, the
underlying RPG programs would remain the same. Isn't overriding to the
member TRANSIENT1 the same as overriding to the set of records where
MEMBER=TRANSIENT1?

In other words, since the underlying RPG programs don't know or care
which member they process today, moving from a member name to a field
value should not cause a problem. The RPG cares about customer/order
combinations, not member/customer/order.

Since all the data eventually ends up in one of two permanent members
anyway, Jeff wouldn't have duplicate order numbers or somesuch.

To me, the more involved piece are the programs that move orders between
members.

It sounds straight-forward from here. Perhaps there's a wrinkle I don't
see?

Loyd Goodbar
Business Systems
BorgWarner Shared Services