For the most part I agree. I only have two issues with this strategy:
1. iNav drops Vista to Basic display mode, disabling some of the Aero
interface's fancy stuff.
2. RAM consumption. At least some of iNav's functions (spool file
management for instance) have memory leaks that have persisted for
several releases. Sometimes refreshing a list or altering a list
(causing a re-load of the contents) very obviously does not purge the
former list from RAM. In these cases it never purges the old, unusable,
and inaccessible data from RAM until iNav itself is shut down. On a
machine with limited RAM this causes excessive paging & poor
performance.

Item one is minor & I can easily live with it but it is an annoyance.
This has been the case for years & across several PCs, both XP & Vista,
and various iSeries Access versions.
Item two can only be mitigated by closing iNav or having lots of RAM.
1GB isn't enough (iNav can easily eat 300+MB RAM). Fortunately my
current machine has 4GB RAM.

If you have sufficient RAM & good caching (like Vista's SuperFetch),
closing/reopening iNav doesn't take that long. About five seconds or so
on my current machine.

BTW, is there a way for iNav to remember settings between sessions?
Mainly F11-type selection criteria and list sorting preferences.