Well, then let's turn the +1 to a -1 and add a new condition to the where
clause...

where not exists(same as before)
and a.field-1 > 0

Michael Schutte
Admin Professional
Bob Evans Farms, Inc.

rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent by:
midrange-l-bounce To
s@xxxxxxxxxxxx Midrange Systems Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
04/16/2008 08:41 cc
AM
Subject
Re:
Please respond to
Midrange Systems
Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@midra
nge.com>

This now gives me a 4
Select Min(thekey+1) FROM qtemp.foxwell a
WHERE not exists (select '1' from qtemp.foxwell b
where a.thekey+1 = b.thekey)

When the file contains 2, 3 and 5.

I think he would want a 1 first. And I am not sure if he wanted all
within the 1-10 range.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Michael_Schutte@xxxxxxxxxxxx
04/16/2008 08:36 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re:

But you're probably right. I didn't give a good solution. It quick
without testing.

Exec sql
Select min(a.field+1) from file a
where not exists(select '1' from file b where a.field+1 = b.field)

that should work.

Michael Schutte
Admin Professional
Bob Evans Farms, Inc.

WHERE not exists (select '1' from qtemp.foxwell b
where a.thekey = b.thekey
and a.thekey = b.thekey + 1)

on this table
CREATE TABLE QTEMP.FOXWELL (THEKEY INT NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT)
with these values: 2, 3, 5
and I got a 2 as a result.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073