As I recall, DB2 is implemented in several layers, as Elvis said. And the query engine, which used to be almost all CPF (above the MI abstraction layer) is almost all in SLIC (below the MI layer). SLIC is much more than a kernel, but must include it - that is the piece that is more hardware-dependent. But there is code that handles queues on IOAs or IOPs - not sure which. These are essentially services to the higher layers like Storage Management, that gives us the single level store, at least. There's a task dispatcher element, the low level name for jobs, et al. This may be what is closer to an OS - the rest is applications, really.

So pieces of everything since the earliest days are in the area below MI - and could be the closest thing to a kernel.

Wow, that was way too much to say on a Monday!! Later, y'all (been in Nashville!!)

V.

From: Mike Cunningham <mcunning@xxxxxxx>

The latest edition of Dr Dobbs magazine had an article about the "first ever"
database engine embedded in the kernel of an Operating System. I know that
"kernel" does not always mean "OS" but I also know that a lot of people use the
terms to mean the same thing. I also know that since the S/38 days IBM has said
that DB2/400 is part of OS/400 (aka i5/OS, i/OS). Could DB2/400 also be
considered as being part of the "kernel" of i5/OS - i/OS?