Steve,

I don't disagree with the intent of anything on your list of desired enhancements. But I also don't see how your list supports the earlier assertion that "IBM i has not been fundementally improved for the last 10 yrs.". I believe there have been fundamental improvements, like some of those I referenced earlier, though there is obviously also room for more improvements by IBM :) My problem is someone as knowledgeable as you are about the system making such a blanket (and negative) statement on a very broadly read list. (Though I assure you I wouldn't have a problem with a blanket statement such as "IBM i is the best kept secret in the industry" lol)

As I mentioned, I don't disagree with the intent of items in your list. I would suggest however a more generalized approach. As an example, you mention application access to the associated space of an object. I suspect (but could be wrong which is the exposure of being too specific) that what you're after is the ability to have user data associated with an object, saved/restored/duplicated with the object, but you don't really care about the actual implementation. In the past users for instance wanted to associate application related data to a user profile. IBM came out with the User Application APIs which allows user data to be associated with a *USRPRF, saved and restored with the profile, etc but I don't believe is actually using the *USRPRF associated space as a backing store. With a more general statement of need (not describing implementation other than as a suggestion) perhaps a solution might be to allow a user to create a composite object which can define a
set of objects to be treated as a single entity for save/restore/duplicate/etc. Please note that I'm throwing this out as a possible alternative implementation that potentially could satisfy your need, I'm not suggesting in any way that I'm aware of any work currently being done in this area.

Along the same lines, your description of service program enhancements threw me for a second. I don't agree with "reflect completely their contents" (and I suspect you didn't really mean "completely") but certainly agree with the desired objective "not have to include the PR definitions".

And while I hesitate to bring this up... I've also wondered in the past what you are after with user spaces greater than 16MB. It's a very specific implementation you have in mind, and I would certainly like to see such an enhancement, I've never understood why it had to be user spaces. If the goal is persistent and shared storage of large amounts of binary data, I would think that a stream file would suffice. But as I know you're familiar with IFS I'm left wondering what the real application need is.

Regards,
Bruce