Our operator is going to start documenting each step in the process to see where the delay is more exactly. On tapes, we put one in Friday and do the normal save with a *LEAVE. That tape sits in the drive until Sat night when we do a savsecdta, savcfg and a few other small libraries with a *LEAVE, Sunday backup is the same so we are just adding the few objects to the end of the Friday tape. We have two tape drives and then so Sunday night we also kick off a duptap from one drive to the second. We send the original to our on campus tape storage vault and the copy goes off site.

... but the forest is so pretty... well not this time of year, lots of grey-brown trees with not leaves. Kinda depressing looking
-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Evan Harris
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 3:45 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: Longer backup after an IPL

Hi Mike

Agreed re the compress I wasn't really thinking about the details, just
things that could cause an issue.

You mention that you are not there to change tapes on weekends. How do you
manage the tapes for the weekend save, in particular the positioning. Do you
do two saves to one tape on weekends ? Could the longer save after the IPL
be the tape repositioning ?

I still think as per my earlier email that you should compare the steps in
the job on a one to ne basis to see which bit of it is taking longer. At the
moment you are trying to see why the whole process takes longer - break it
down into its constituent parts as that will give you more insight into what
the issue might be.

Look at the trees not the forest :)

Regards
Evan Harris