Please note that the functions of both CHGPF SRCFILE() and ALTER TABLE are not so limiting as the /tech support/ response. Compatible changes to fields is possible, even incompatible changes if the inquiry message that warns of data loss is accepted, beyond just /add column/ type of change. Multiple changes would be done, as many as possible, in one request to avoid multiple data copies; i.e. do not add a column, then another, then another... or change one, then add, then...;;; similar to how LABEL ON and COMMENT ON would be done for all fields in one request rather than one request per column. Two examples of change and add; all added are /to the end/ in the order specified -- and DDS-based CHGPF has fewer restrictions, but should not be used to change SQL TABLE.

CREATE TABLE QTEMP.FOURFIELDS (ONE INT)
;
ALTER TABLE QTEMP.FOURFIELDS
ADD COLUMN TWO CHAR(6) DEFAULT '*EMPTY'
ALTER COLUMN ONE SET DATA TYPE NUMERIC(9, 0)
ADD COLUMN THREE INT
;
ALTER TABLE QTEMP.FOURFIELDS
ALTER COLUMN TWO SET DATA TYPE CHAR DEFAULT NULL
ADD COLUMN FOUR INT
-- must respond I=Ignore to confirm, allow data loss
;

CHGPFM has effectively no relationship to these /alter/ features to change the /record format/ of a database file.

Regards, Chuck