Elvis

DSPFs have things like valid values and some other stuff - but all that is checked when a function key or enter is pressed. He could use this technique to test an entry, then put back an error message if it fails. Normal stuff. For RPG people - not you Delphi and C++ folks!

Vern

From: "Elvis Budimlic" <ebudimlic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm not sure about data validation on 5250 display... does it have a concept
of a "mask"?

As for database integrity, there is no substitute for check constraints. If
you had them on, you would never have to worry about ANY method putting
"bad" data in (5250 or otherwise).

Using RPG built-in for input data validation will probably perform better
than embedded SQL call to a TRANSLATE function.

HTH, Elvis

Celebrating 11-Years of SQL Performance Excellence on IBM i5/OS and OS/400
www.centerfieldtechnology.com