Sounds to me like you're somehow creating VARCHAR fields by using SUBSTR in
SQL. Those two bytes are no control bytes, rather they are a short integer
value specifying how long the field is (how many chars it has).

If that's truly the case, remedy is simple, CAST your substring to a CHAR.
You can do it by using an explicit CAST keyword, i.e.:

CAST(SUBSTR(myBigfield, 10, 5) AS CHAR(5))

Or you can try implicit cast, i.e.:

CHAR(SUBSTR(myBigField, 10, 5))

All that said, I'm a bit confused by your distinction between "a whole field
that already existed" and field you "built".

HTH, Elvis

Celebrating 11-Years of SQL Performance Excellence on IBM i5/OS and OS/400
www.centerfieldtechnology.com