<snip>
i hear a lot of "using the same keys" talk....why not just have a single
LF with those keys? if you need more fields in the key list then do
some
due diligence BEFORE creating the LF and make the full key then use
partial key lists in the RPG programs. i shudder when i see 5+ LFs with
the same 2 key fields over and over (yes you might need additional LFs
for
change of "sub" key fields...)but really why add unnecessary
complexity??
</snip>

OS/400 will share all the access paths, even on a partial key.

There was a utility published a few years ago that went through, built a
list of indexes, removed the indexes, sorted the indexes by the longest
index first down to the shortest and then rebuilt the indexes back in
that order. In that way, any shorter index would share the key of the
longer index if it existed.

I did some consulting at a company two years ago. Saved some 150gb of
storage by just recreating indexes and sharing the indexes.

Shop had a hundred logicals path over a single table and most of them
could be shared. The whole database was a complete mess.

This is really an exercise any shop should do. Check to see if you have
indexes that could be recreated and would then share an existing access
path.