And you can make desktop shortcuts to almost anything in Navigator, so you can bypass all the startup stuff, at least to some degree.

HTH
Vern

At 02:22 AM 3/13/2008, you wrote:

You wrote :
- it's fantastic to drag a spooled file to the desktop and have a text file automagically created there.

I'll say its fantastic when I find a little gem like that hidden away in a discussion like this. I instantly tried it and mailed it to the rest of the team who normally don't even use navigator. Now they do!

Got any more like that ?

-----Message d'origine-----
De : midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] De la part de Vernon Hamberg
Envoyé : mercredi 12 mars 2008 15:49
À : Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Objet : Re: Elimination of PDM/SEU in favor of WDSC/RDI

Navigator has a lot of good stuff - it's fantastic to drag a spooled file to the desktop and have a text file automagically created there.
It is fantastic to create a shortcut on the desktop for individual functions. Some things can only be done there, so we are forced to use it. And I cringe at using the new web-based subset - if that thing is as slow as the Web administration page - Yikes!! Although I do like using the Web-based admin for HTTP, it is not easy to put up with slow all the time.

But for performing operations on multiple items, it is horrible. Take a look at Windows Explorer sometime - select several objects and right-click - select Properties - you get the check boxes and attributes available for all the objects you selected. Those that are not applicable to all the items are disabled.

Do the same in Navigator - you are prompted for EVERY SINGLE ITEM!!!
This is awful! Even in something so obvious as the printer output, where all the objects are the same, you are not given a single dialog that will apply to every object selected.

That is where WRKSPLF and PDM shoe their brilliance - put a 2 on several spooled files, then type OUTQ(QPRINT) on the command line - one press of the enter key - you CAN prompt if you want, but it is not forced on you. It is SO convenient and fast.

I begged IBM years ago to fix Navigator to at least come up to the "standard" of Windows Explorer.

This is why I asked Joe whether WDSC behaves like Navigator or like Explorer when you select several objects and run a user option - from my experience, it is like Navigator - one at a time nonsense.

So if I have a lot of system, operational work to do, green screen is my friend. I use the tool that does the best job at what I need to do. Admittedly, I have a bias against GUIs for text-based work - you have to position by eye, and that is patently slow by definition.
OTOH, I love writing code in WDSC, except for quick tests and very quick fixes.

Learn both, except now you might not have the opportunity.

As to those who say SEU is so bad - may I recommend you put your cursor in the sequence number area and press F1 sometime - there are treasures there you will NOT believe. TAB stops, overlay, shifts of all manner of kinds - it is still a very powerful and useful editor for iSeries applications.

Regards
Vern