Vern

From: Mike Cunningham <mcunning@xxxxxxx>

Don't you think some of these issues are also due to how long databases on
DB2/400 have been inexistence and have not been forced to unload/reload into a
new structure either due to a major change in the database engine or a major
change in hardware. To go back to a large database that was designed using tools
available in the 80's and has hundreds of applications using it and bring it up
to date using current tools and functionality is a very time consuming process
and sometimes adds nothing to the businesses bottom line. If it does make some
process faster or more efficient then it should be done. Yes, dates should be
stored in date type fields but 8.0 numeric fields also work and spending your
organizations money just to change from one to the other can't be justified on
that alone. I do think any new tables (files), columns (fields) should be
created using the newest tools available and I do not see any reason not to
journal just about every table, old or new.