Hi all,
Any suggestions on how you would do this in interactive SQL?

UPDATE thisTABLE
counter = counter + 1
set RECCNT = counter
where date1 > 20080000

An example would be most appreciated. The above, obviously does not work.

The only two options I have in this case are SQL and UPDDTA record by record.

BTW, every now and then I see answers posted asking a good question -
why would you want to do that? - the hard way? I suspect it is usually
because we are working on a box with restrictions, no developer
environment, etc.

When we are in our native environment these questions (with simple
answers in another tool) don't pop up.

This thread ...