From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jerry Adams
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 2:10 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: DAILY changes to your System Values and IBM commands

I never mess around with the IBM commands in QSYS or wherever. Instead
I created a library which is ahead of QSYS in the System portion of the
library list, copy the command to that library, and make the change
there. That way, if something goes awry, I can always whack/rename the
offending command in that library and I'm back to IBM's default.

I have a similar command to yours, but I only run it during release
upgrades. It makes the copies of the commands and applies the changes
to the defaults.

* Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
615.995.7024
fax
615.995.1201
email
jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Eric Lehti wrote:
How about editing your i5/OS system values every day in a controlled,
safe manner.

On your System I, for those system values that you have customized and
those IBM commands that you have changed from default values, I suppose
that you perform those in a CL program that you run regularly, even
daily. Here are a few lines from the CL we run each day.
Will come in handy when we upgrade from i5/OS V5R3 to a more current
release. Won't have to hunt and search for all the custom mods we have
made.

/* The shipped value for CRTPF is 10000 records with 1000 created */

/* in three increments. */

/* This meant that the file is full at 13,000 records. */

/* Increasing this value will mean that it is less likely that */

/* World Writer files created will max the file size. */

/* */

/* */

/* */

QSYS/CHGJOB LOGCLPGM(*YES)

QSYS/CHGCMDDFT CMD(QSYS/CRTPF) NEWDFT('SIZE(250000 +

25000)')

QSYS/MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000 CPC0000 CPD0000)

/* The QSYSPRT system printer file had a default of 100,000 records */

/* 100,000 records is approximately 1667 pages. */

/* I am increasing the default by three-fold. 300,000 records */

/* should allow about 4,800 pages before halting a job. */

/* 2006-0716: Increase to 600000 from 300000. Alan Shiever */

/* exceeded 300k with a 6,400 page report. */

QSYS/CHGPRTF FILE(QSYSPRT) MAXRCDS(*NOMAX)

QSYS/MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000 CPC0000 CPD0000)

/* The shipped value is 5000 records. This small size means that */

/* several logs are created each day on average. Triple the size. */

/* 2006-0822: Increase to 60000 from 15000, now that we are */

/* mirroring with Echo(2) */

/* 2008-0116: Increase to 65400 from 60000, almost the maximum. */

QSYS/CHGSYSVAL SYSVAL(QHSTLOGSIZ) VALUE(65400)

QSYS/MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000 CPC0000 CPD0000)

/* QDSCJOBITV Inactive job time-out. Specifies when the system */

/* takes action on inactive interactive jobs. */

/* The system value QINACTMSGQ determines the action the system
takes */
/* THE previous value was 90 minutes up till 19 January 2006. */

/* 2006-0622: Change from 300 minutes to 45 minutes. */

/* 2007-0605: Change to 60 minutes. Was 300 minutes before. */

/* 2007-0606: Change to 30 minutes FOR TESTING TODAY ONLY */

QSYS/CHGSYSVAL SYSVAL(QINACTITV) VALUE('240')

QSYS/MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000 CPC0000 CPD0000)

list