I understand all of that, Trevor. Sadly, we all understand the strategy you suggest. The fact is, the AS/400 is a niche product. It's a great product, offering huge competitive advantages to those using the platform, but it carries no real weight in the computing World. The point remains, outside of our little community, no one really cares. We can tell them System i, or whatever, all we want, but they are going to answer "AS/400". Thats just the reality of the marketplace.

Don Quixote comes to mind. The tragedy is that you are tilting at windmills.

Trevor Perry wrote:
Booth,

There was no ~argument~ about the name. I stated the facts.

FWIW, I work hard at expressing my opinion about the name to IBM - but not
about the "AS/400". I am engaged at many levels with IBM, but I am simply
one voice.
I work hard at getting the word out - go see my Angus marketing at:
http://angustheitchap.com/Angus/Marketing.html
I worked on the http://i4everyone.com/ site for marketing ideas to show to
IBM.
I work with iSociety - we have had an idea that everyone should stick a
sticker in an inappropriate place and send us the photo for posting. Sticker
ideas are here: http://www.cafepress.com/angustheitchap/3128816
I provide iGeek and other buttons (on my dime) to many user groups (you got
one last week) and I am bringing a ton to COMMON. You want more - go here:
http://www.cafepress.com/angustheitchap/4738116

I ~serve~ the community by talking to user groups and conferences all over
the country about modernization and technical topics. And I talk about
modernizing your vernacular, among other things. I believe strongly that we
should all be a united community, and it has become apparent that we cannot
do that with the BACKWARDS looking approach taken by the "AS/400" faithful.
Living in the past will not provide i5/OS with a future, and this is
something that seems to be missed by you, and many others here.

What you see here on midrange-L is a passion that appears very
one-dimensional. It is not - I work on this many more hours in the day than
you know. I will not apologize for being rather fanatical about bringing
together the community under ~A~ name. I will apologize that you miss the
point, and think I am arguing about the name - I am not, I am arguing that
we should all use ONE.

And just for the record, Booth. The name HAS been changed. Get over it and
move into the 21st century with us. Stop complaining, and be positive. Your
whining gets us nowhere with IBM.

Trevor