David FOXWELL wrote:
What happens if a program is called and the procedure in a service program has changed or if the service program was deleted?

The same sort of things that happen when a program is changed or deleted. If the service program has been deleted, you would get a runtime "can't find object" error. If the logic has changed, your program will see the new logic (even without having been rebound). This gets a bit more complicated if a service program is changed while a running job is using it. I believe that the "old" version is used until the service program's activation group ends. Can anyone give a bit more detail on this point?

Why bind by copy instead of by reference?

From my point of view, there are very few times when binding by copy makes more sense than binding by reference. Essentially, bind by copy is most appropriate for modules that will only be used in one (or very few) program objects.