This is the difference....

"broad campaign by I.B.M."

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 9:32 PM, jde iSeries <jde.iseries@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[sigh ] I wish that the System i could get this kind of news coverage.
This article would be just as accurate if "System i" were substituted for
"mainframe".

I.B.M. to Introduce a Notably Improved MainframeThe mainframe, the aged yet
surprisingly resilient survivor of computing, is getting a face-lift. A
model called the
I.B.M.<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/international_business_machines/index.html?inline=nyt-org>
z10,
which is being introduced Tuesday, is far faster and has three times the
data-juggling memory of its three-year-old predecessor, the z9.

But the significance of the new machine, analysts say, is that it is a big
step in a broad campaign by I.B.M. to make the mainframe computer a
high-performance, energy-efficient engine for running all kinds of
nonmainframe software.

The goal, according to I.B.M. executives and analysts, is to recast the
mainframe as a nimble supercomputer in corporate and government data
centers, running Web-based programs, Linux, advanced data mining and
business intelligence software.

To do that, I.B.M. has refined its mainframe hardware and come up with new
software tools, as part of a five-year, $1.5-billion overhaul.

"The mainframe's ability to survive is only as good as its ability to
innovate and compete for these new computing workloads of the future," an
analyst atForrester
Research<http://www.nytimes.com/mem/MWredirect.html?MW=http://custom.marketwatch.com/custom/nyt-com/html-companyprofile.asp&symb=FORR>,
Brad Day, said. "And I.B.M. is starting to succeed at that."

The stakes are high. Though the sales of mainframes account for less than 4
percent of I.B.M.'s revenue, the sales of mainframe software, storage and
services are a big, profitable business. The overall business dependent on
mainframes represents about 25 percent of company revenue and nearly half of
its profit, said A. M. Sacconaghi, an analyst with Sanford C. Bernstein &
Company.

At Hannaford Brothers in Scarborough, Me., a supermarket chain with stores
in five states, the company has consolidated many programs onto its two
mainframes. They include its consumer Web site, its Web portal for tracking
shipments from suppliers and store and customer data that were once housed
on computers in individual stores.

"The mainframe has become very flexible and very scalable for us," said Bill
Homa, Hannaford's chief information officer.

Robert Woeckener, a senior technology manager at Nationwide Insurance in
Columbus, Ohio, said his company had consolidated more than 1,300 programs
onto 480 virtual computers — software that emulates a machine — that run on
two mainframes.

Nationwide began the program more than two years ago, projecting savings in
energy, administration and other costs at $15 million over three years.
"We're probably running ahead of that," Mr. Woeckener said.

I.B.M. competitors say that some individual success stories among mainframe
users do not change the reality that the mainframe is in retreat.

In 2004, Microsoft<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/microsoft_corporation/index.html?inline=nyt-org>
founded
the Mainframe Migration Alliance, a group of technology companies that helps
corporations move software applications from mainframes to smaller computers