I have to admit that assembler, while not my most productive language lol, is my favorite language. It's the only language where I have complete confidence of what is taking place (well, discounting macros that is). I can't count the number of times I've been burned because of the HLL doing something on my behalf (or "for my own good"). I certainly don't have to worry about that with assembler :-)

Bruce Vining
http://www.brucevining.com/

Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jon Paris wrote:
I wouldn't force someone to learn assembler before learning an HLL -
I'm interested in why you see this differently.

Now there's an interesting opinion. While I'd avoid terms like "force",
it's been my experience that the best programmers - and particularly the
best debuggers - were ones who started out in assembler. In fact, it's
long been my assertion that nobody should be awarded a CS degree unless
they understand Boolean logic and can program an 8259 PIC chip.

But that's just me.

Joe