JK wrote:
Question: Is it possible that iSeries SQL allows non-standard SQL
extensions or have the ASC programmers cleverly parsed and reformatted the
statement to allow their own syntax? I'm making a note for next week to ask
their tech-support about this, but thought I'd see whether anyone on this
list has already investigated this.
I'll bet dollars to donuts that ASC cleverly repackages the statement. That's because IBM adheres very strongly to the ANSI standard. Microsoft, Informix and Oracle all have their own specialized syntax. That's why I don't find the "database independence" argument very compelling. In order to get decent performance out of most databases or to avoid horribly ungainly syntax you need to use the database-specific extensions. The second you do that, your code WILL NOT RUN on any other database.

So, I suggest that if database independence is an issue that you stick tightly to full ANSI compliance for any SQL. Your code will be ugly and might not run as well, but it will run on any engine that is ANSI compliant. Of course, that's also an issue: every vendor has different levels of ANSI compliance.

The beauty of SQL standards: there are so many of them!

Joe