Thanks. Perhaps I post in JAVA400 and do some more searching. I thought it was rather strange and couldn't account for the difference. At least you see the same thing which is reassuring :-)

Thanks for the clarification on TTY vs shell. I wasn't sure how to characterize it. I *knew* puTTY was terminal emulator, it was how it relates to QP2TERM that I was struggling with. Also, thanks for the 'env' command. Helpful!

Pete

Scott Klement wrote:
Hello Pete,

For example, java -version in QSH and QP2TERM produce: java version
"1.4.2". In pUTTY, nothing is output. Not even an error.

Hmmm... I can't explain why that is. That's very weird... I suspect it has something to do with the way IBM implemented Java on i5/OS. (FWIW, I just tried it on my box, and I get the same result.)

echoing the $PATH variable DOES provide the same information between QSH, QP2TERM and SSH. But I am not sure where other things like java
CLASSPATHs and such are set when accessing PASE through other shells
(like pUTTY using SSH).

You can type 'env' in PASE to get a list of environment variables and their settings, if that helps.

Just for clarity, though... PuTTY isn't a shell. It's a Telnet/SSH/RLogin program for Windows. It's what we would traditionally refer to as a "terminal emulator".

A shell is a program that runs on the host (in this case, a PASE program running on i5/OS) that interprets the commands you type. Theoretically, QP2TERM via a 5250 emulator, and PuTTY should use the same shells.