We are level 4 but could push into level 3 if card use grows. Our iSeries is also our primary business (we are a college) machine but we do use it to store credit card information and the same system (we only have 1) does lots of other work. So right now it's not possible for us to physically segregate that server. The credit card data is encrypted by the third-party application we use to process card transactions and that software has been pci-dss certified. All the data is logically segregated (it's a library that no one has access to except through the applications we wrote that lets them access it) from the rest of the system and is not accessible from any outside ODBC/JBDC/OLE DB connections (we use exit points to prevent access).

When it comes to issuing visitor badges does that apply to just visitors to the datacenter itself (we do not allow this at all except under very strict monitored tours by students), visitors to the building the datacenter is in (we are in the same building as our Admissions office and there are sometimes 100+ visitors in the building but they go nowhere near the datacenter), or visitors to the organization which on some days might be more like 500 people if a special event is being held.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve McKay
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 10:35 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: PCI-DSS Compliance in an iSeries world

We are a level 2 merchant. The iSeries is our primary business system but
we don't store card information on it so it is out of scope for PCI
purposes.

The PCI compliance process is much like the SOX process - at a third party
assessor level (as opposed to a self assessment level) it will probably
instigate many changes in your policies and processes. Things that you may
not do today like issuing visitors' badges or having a policy to not e-mail
card numbers will have to change. For us, the major change is segregating
servers that store card information from other servers on our network.

What specific questions do you have?

Steve