From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of john e
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2008 2:23 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: System i Revenue Up

Lukas said:

Well, becoming a monopoly is not exactly easy. Microsoft made that, and that
shows that they've got a lot of clue on how to run a good business

No it's not easy. Bill Gates had the vision 30 years ago that a computer
would be in everybodies house. But, actually achieving this monopoly is not
something you simply plan. He was quite lucky to make a deal with IBM when
IBM was looking for an OS for their new PC. And then it took off as the "IBM
PC" and the rest is history. Bill Gates also knew that applications, not
OS's or whatever, are driving markets. You really need some genius to have
this kind of vision, at that time.

But to look at Microsoft and get a clue on how to run a business...... i
don't know. For one, M$ never really competes on merites. There
businessmodel seems to be based on holding on to the status quo as long as
possible using their monopoly, crushing competitor's, new ideas/products,
stiffling innovation etc etc. They don't invest money in innovation, and
bring out better products with better ideas than their competitors. The're
businessmodel these days seems to revolve around illegal business practices
(using their monopoly) and hoping that at the time they are convicted for
these bad business practices that the market is already taken or crushed and
that their profit exceeds their fines.

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 19:22:50 +0100> From:
lukas.beeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re:
System i Revenue Up> > On Jan 25, 2008 5:26 PM,
<Rick.Chevalier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> > IIRC the 79% increase was
attributed to sales of the Windows operating> > system, the one without any
real competition in the consumer market.> > Well, becoming a monopoly is not
exactly easy. Microsoft made that,> and that shows that they've got a lot of
clue on how to run a good> business.> > > Try to walk into BestBuy for
instance and get a PC system with an> > operating system other than Windows.
Microsoft also released the new> > Yeah, but most x86 servers are shipped
without an OS.> > > version of Windows which they charge handily for. The
last time I> > checked, the updates to i5/OS are free.> > i5/OS updates are
far, far away from free. You need SWMA. You'd have> gotten Vista "for no
additional cost" if you purchased Microsoft's> Software Assurance. This
argume
nt is bullshit.> > > Sure Microsoft's revenue is up,> > but I hardly think
you can equate that with a superior product. Just a> > Ah well, what OS are
you currently running at home? And why?> > -- > Read my blog at
http://projectdream.org> -- > This is the Midrange Systems Technical