Pete,

This was my recollection although I no longer have my E02 or my 170 in the basement (my wife had me get rid of them....wimp...)

I would occasionally start up either and I know for certain that it was months between power ons. I never recall having to do anything special beyond plugging it in and pushing the button and (eventually) signing on.

Pete Helgren (re-Pete)

Pete Massiello wrote:
I wasn't arguing about the grace period, I was agreeing on that, and that is
why I thought people were mixing up grace period for how long a machine
could be off for.

So, now you evoked my curiosity. I went into the computer room and
connected a 170 to power and just powered it up. This AS/400 (yes, it is an
AS/400) with V5R2 on it that hadn't been on (unplugged since we turned it
off) since Dec 06, 2006. So, that would be 13 months it was powered off and
Un-Plugged. This machine hasn't been on since 2006, I went and looked up in
the history log. It came up fine, didn't ask for a password, didn't ask for
anything. I had to connect a console (Twinax) to it, but its up and
running, and those noisy old disks are just chattering about.

Pete Massiello