When you say "from a CL program, I don't" does that mean that your CL program is trying to receive the completion message, but is not finding one?

Or does it mean that it doesn't print on the screen?

In the former case, it's likely that your logging level (set in the job descriptor, or changed with CHGJOB as Rob points out) is set too low.

In the latter case, it's important to understand the way messages work on i5/OS. Each call stack level has it's own message queue. Typically, completion messges are sent one level up the call stack. So, if the command line invokes RSTOBJ, the completion message is sent to the command line itself (which will display it on the screen for the user's benefit). If the RSTOBJ command is run from your program, the completion message would be sent to your program -- which would ignore it unless you've written code to retrieve it and do something with it.

So in this situation, if you want the message to be displayed on the command line after your CL program exits, you'll need to retreive the message sent by RSTOBJ (via the RCVMSG command) and re-send it up to your CL program's caller (which would, presumably, be the command line).

James Lampert wrote:
If I do a RSTOBJ from the command line, I get a completion message on the screen, indicating the results.

If I do it from a CL program, I don't.

Anybody know what I need to do to change that?