I will get back to you later with more specifics. My memory says it was a one person software house called "Outlook Computing" but I will need to check.
I work swing shift, I am at home right now, & the manual is at the office.

However, thanks to Google & my prior post, I was able to track them down.
http://www.outlookcomputing.com/

As I recall, we paid under $ 2,000 for FILE TRACK and under $ 2,000 for another utility, NCS PRO. With the other utility we identtified flat files and the programs that had the layout, and this other utility created external definitions, and wrote programs to convert the data into the externally defined, and also do any conversions needed to fix issues like duplicate definition overlap. Before running the copy flat into external, we modified the source to exclude records coded for deletion.

Here's a post I made, closer in time to when I was last using this stuff.
http://archive.midrange.com/bpcs-l/199906/msg00149.html

It has been eons since I had time for blogging, but my site is still up & they mentioned there http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html in section IV with a lot of other links, many of which are no longer any good.

It seems logical to me that other resources for your challenge might include
ROBOT http://www.helpsystems.com/
and ASNA
since that's the kind of products service I think they shine in
http://www.asna.com/index/Solutions/

, you wrote:
"Al Mac Wheel" wrote in message
> During a conversion we used FILE TRACK.
> Our usage was in jigasaw puzzle of combining pieces of information from
> different files into new file.
> However, you'd probably need to be able to make an external file
> definition on the internally described file.

Al,

Can you provide some more detail on the FILE TRACK product you mentioned?
Who markets it?

--
Regards,

Michael Rosinger