To: "'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 11:31 AM
Subject: RE: QTEMP not in library list

From: Crispin Bates

I could go into even more detail, but It seems to me that hard coded
libraries are just too restrictive.

Far be it from me to disagree with Bruce, Crispin, but I'm a firm believer
in the library list concept. I come from SSA, where I was taught the beauty
of the library list; it's one of those things about the operating system
that seems simple at first glance and yet is so powerful.

Library lists are irreplaceable for anyone who needs to have multiple
versions of code running at the same time, whether it be for project phases
such as development, QA, and production, or for multiple companies, whether
it's a truly multi-company site or it's an Application Service Provider
hosting different companies. The latter case, in these days of hosted
software, is a place where the System i can really make a comeback, in my
opinion, but I digress.

Anyway, the ability to have a custom version of a program in a library a
little higher in company A's library list is crucial to the ability to
having multiple companies. There are simply times when it makes sense to
have different processing for a single company without pulling that code
back into the base code and conditioning it. This is the beauty of the
library list.

I also had to emulate the concept for SSA's ill-fated move to Unix. About
90% of the way through the conversion project, SSA realized they needed to
convert not just the RPG< but the CL programs as well. It was my job to
make that happen, and that's where I learned the strengths of the OS. Among
the top things: library lists, database overrides and job/output queues.
(Technically, the biggest issue was bidirectional parameters on program
calls, but again, I digress.)

Anyway, library lists are crucial for me. If I really don't want people
messing with the library list, I remove authority to the library list
commands and move on. But that's my opinion.

Joe