We're moving from an 810 to a 525. The 525 is rack mounted with an HMC. I
went into the computer room after lunch and found the entire rack dead.
The power was tripped at the circuit box and the first set of plugs in the
rack's power supply was tripped as well.

An external modem for the HMC was plugged in, as was a 1U, drawer mounted
flat screen monitor. The modem was not powered on and still works now
that everything has been reset. The flat screen monitor is dead. We've
verified power to the small power supply behind it.

Needless to say we're not thrilled that the entire system came crashing
down because a monitor decided to short out.

I guess my question is, has anybody else experienced this? We're set to
move this thing into production in two weeks, and heads will roll if we
have the entire company brought down by a flat screen monitor failing. I
pushed for an HMC to have a more reliable means for off site support, but
<mild curse word>, now there's talk of pulling the HMC out and hooking up
a dumb tube as console. I suppose that I could leave the monitor
unplugged, but if this is more than an extreme fluke I'll be casting my
vote for that as well.