I also use JFreeChart, but I don't have Tomcat or any other app server installed. I call it directly from an RPG program (using RPG's ability to call Java methods).

You could also write a java program to do the same thing. You only need to use something like Tomcat or WAS if you plan to run this from a Java servlet, JSP, etc.

Here are links to articles that I wrote about using JFreeChart from RPG (these require a System iNetwork membership, but a free "Associate" membership will do the job):

http://www.systeminetwork.com/article.cfm?id=53248
http://www.systeminetwork.com/article.cfm?id=53273
http://www.systeminetwork.com/article.cfm?id=53353
http://www.systeminetwork.com/article.cfm?id=53396

Luis Colorado wrote:
Javascript-based graphics pose some intresting problems, one of them
being browser-compatibility. I don't know if there are nice
JavaScript graphics libraries out there that deal with multi-browser
compatility... I'd be happy to know of them.

We have used a Java-based tool (jfreechart), which works nicely, and
it's free ($100 if you pay for the manual and updates). It can be
used with very little (if any) knowledge of Java, but you need Tomcat
or some other java application server. The graphs are generated a
jpeg files, so you don't have to deal with any browser compatibity
issues.