From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Norbut, Jim
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 10:45 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: SQL question du jour

Have a field that is 512 characters long.

How do I find out how many characters are actually used thought.

CREATE TABLE LAW8EXTN/CHECKOUT)

TRANS_NBR CHAR(10) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT,

CHECK_DATE DATE NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT,

VENDOR CHAR(9) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT,

VENDOR_VNAME CHAR(50) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT,

BASE_CHK_AMT NUMERIC(15,2) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT,

INVOICES CHAR (512) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT);

SELECT character_length(invoices) FROM law8extn/checkout

Gives me

CHARACTER_LENGTH

512

512

512

512

512

512

512

And so on and so on.....but I know for a fact that not all 512
characters are used.

SELECT invoices FROM law8extn/checkout

INVOICES

200512:200512