From: Aaron Bartell

EGL is NOT a "bolt-together" language and really has nothing to do with
the Open Source mash-up mentality. You're the one who tied those concepts
together.

EGL utilizes the following technologies to come up with an end result:
- HTML (governed by W3C)
- CSS (governed by W3C)
- Javascript (Netscape/Mozilla?)
- JSP spec/implementation (Sun)
- JSF spec (Sun). IBM provides their own implementation here.
- JDBC spec (Sun)
- EGL WYSIWYG (Eclipse)
- XML (governed by W3C)

How is that not a mash-up of open source?

This is why you and I have a hard time on these lists, Aaron. You interpret
my words and then argue with your interpretation. I guess I'm just not
clear enough when I type, although in my defense it seems others understood
my meaning.

The word "mash-up" in the context of programming has a specific meaning: a
combination of applications within a single web page.

I use the term "Open Source mash-up" to describe non-experts taking
disparate Open Source applications, such as Wikis and bulletin boards and
whatever, slapping them together and hoping to get an enterprise-level
business application.

EGL is not a mash-up executed by non-experts. EGL is a product of some of
the brightest minds in the community integrating open standards into a
powerful tool. For example, I'll bet that the folks at IBM are better at
JSF than either you or me. I consider EGL's incorporation of open standards
to really embody the tradition of the entire Open Source movement; that's
quite different than somebody hacking a stored procedure into an open source
bulletin board and calling it a business application.

If you don't think so, then that's cool. We can just move on.

Joe