Buck wrote:

I think that the Midrange market in particular needs to spend more time
learning and understanding the underlying technology so we can make use
of it and less time looking for a silver bullet that will allow us to
get on the web without understanding it.

I agree... going to the web without understanding it reduces your options tremendously. It may be possible, but the results will be only marginally better than a green screen.

And yes, I understand you are not advocating ignorance of the web. I'm
not saying that. I'm saying that the Midrange environment needs to
become web savvy, not to use tools that shield us from that. Which is
of course an opinion, and as such I'm not disagreeing with you -- I'm
just sharing that after a decade of looking at code generated
applications, I'm very much convinced that it would have been much
better to have been hand coded.

I disagree... I have done Synon since 1993 for more than 9 different companies in diverse industries, and the programs that typically caused more problems (e.g., abending in the middle of the night) were not Synon programs, but hand-coded programs. And that's not to mention the quality and the consistency of the Synon user interface over hand-code programs, plus the elegance and simplicity of this model-oriented tool. It's just sad that Synon got practically abandoned by its multiple owners.

Luis