From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Trevor Perry
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2007 11:21 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Happy i5/OS 2008?

Don,

Midrange-L is NOT the industry. It is not a true representation of the
industry. It does not have IBM participation. It does not have participation
of the majority of the community.

Regardless of what you think, a few vocal midrange-L-ers being pissed at me
for advocating using the correct name, does not mean the industry has
rejected the name.

It is NOT about the name, but about PERCEPTION. If the world thinks AS/400
is old, and you call it an AS/400, you are propagating OLD.

It is simple, really. If everyone on this list were to call it i5/OS, and
were to change their websites to match - with the appropriate references to
the legacy, there would be no reason to blame IBM or Google or <insert your
seach engine here>.

And if we know IBM is not marketing, and we want the platform to continue,
why are we complaining about IBM and NOT marketing it ourselves?

"Tough noogies" is narrow sighted and keeps us in the past. You are welcome
to raise your glass as the rest of us disappear into the future.

Trevor