Trevor,

It seems to me that the very fact that you need to keep shouting the new name(s) from the rooftops over and over, with (apparently) very few absorbing the info, should be quite telling. The market seems to have shunned the new names. Now what? Yell louder? Ridicule those that don't like it? We still need to identify this box and / or OS to the people we speak with. Most don't even know the machine at all. Out of those that do recognize it, I have yet to come across someone that knows it by its new name. NOT EVEN ONE!!! I try to tell them, but no one is interested. It also really slows down (read: hinders) a presentation when unfamiliar buzzwords are used.

IBM has picked poor names (on many levels) for this system and then, adding insult to injury, has not properly gotten the word out / marketed the product. Is the end result a surprise to anyone??

1) The new naming (whether we like it or not) does little to promote the machine. It's the applications available, support for legacy applications, new capabilities, reliability, etc. that sell this machine. It's the pricing and several other factors including, but not limited to items such as the lack of an easy to program, integrated, system supported GUI and IBM's wishy-washy marketing that hold this machine back from selling.

2) If the bulk of the IBM Midrange faithful can't keep up with IBM's naming mess, then how do you expect the public at large to keep up with it?

3) Your comparison to Intel actually works against you. Let's look at some of their (consumer) chip line.
8088

286
386
486

Pentium
Pentium II
Pentium III
Pentium IV

Dual core
Quad core

Notice a pattern? There is a simple, yet progressive way that the chips get identified. The names are easy for the consumer to remember, even when a new one comes out; III is better than II, IV is better than III, etc. IBM for the most part has NOT done this.

BTW, kudos to you for getting up there and promoting it, but the naming morass is a very small part of the problem that needs to be fixed by IBM. Yelling at the supporters of the system will not do it.

-mark