hi scott..

here are the results of the test you suggested..

on both systems the test of

TELNET RMTSYS('192.168.1.100') PORT(2000)

fails with unable to open connection and this is respective of the port used..dropping the port option it automatically tries to connect with port 23 and gets the same error..

however when
TELNET 192.168.1.100 2000 or
TELNET 192.168.1.100

is used a connection is made..is active and is useable..

i might add a caveat here..i am working in buenos aires and my command of spanish while quite functional is not totally fluent and i can have difficulty communicating what we need to do with the operators..

thanks

keith

message: 3
date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 22:16:10 -0600
from: Scott Klement <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: econnrefused

Darn... I thought it might be the bind(), too... since it's inaddr_any, that's not it. (You can verify that by using NETSTAT *CNN and choosing option 5. If it shows "local internet address = *" then you've used INADDR_ANY correctly.)

In a previous message to you, I suggested that it might be a firewall. Have you looked into that?

If you type TELNET RMTSYS('192.168.1.100') PORT(2000) does it connect? Or do you get a connection refused error? If you get a conn refused error, then the error isn't in your client program.

You might also try doing a telnet from a WinXP PC that has a direct network connection to the remote system. Open up a DOS prompt and type 'telnet 192.168.1.100 2000' (without the quotes) and see if it connects. If it does, then there's an error in the way the two iSeries are communicating with each other. Either a firewall is blocking access, or there's a routing problem of some kind. If the telnet from the WinXP computer doesn't work, then there's an error in your server program.

At any rate, it's clear that the problem is NOT related to gethostbyname() or inet_addr(), since you obviously have the right IP address and port in your socket address structure.