From: JK

Q1) To complete the tutorial, I'd intended to use the Cloudscape 5.1 that
WDSc should have installed on my PC.

Okay, a few little things.

First, I'm not a Cloudscape guy, so I'm speaking from a bit of ignorance
here, but that's nothing new, eh? Anyway, why do you think you should be
using Cloudscape? Cloudscape is deprecated and has been replaced by Derby,
which WDSC 7 actually pre-configures for you in the Data Perspective. You
should be able to use that with no problems, although I'm unsure where the
Derby database is initially installed.

If you want to use DB2 on the System i instead, I can show you how to hook
that up, although there are some issues (the primary one being that it's
easier to hardcode library names at the beginning).

Q2) The next step would be to connect to our iSeries. Since Tomcat is
already in use on our small-ish 520, I thought it might be preferable to
use it instead of firing up WAS Express.

Actually, I'd start out by getting the system running inside of WDSC. The
beauty of WDSC is that it has a fully functional internal testing
environment that allows you to do all of your testing without having to
deploy the application to a host. And if you configure your database
connection to use DB2 on the host, it will actually access the data there
while running on your workstation.

Sweet!

A .ppt on the jsayles site describes
how to configure Tomcat once it is installed. How can I determine which
version of Tomcat is running on our box and whether it is recent enough to
work happily with EGL? Then, after Tomcat is added to the "Runtime
Environment" and the sample database is replicated to the iSeries, I
assume you'd have to reconfigure the "EGL SQL Database Connections" to
point to the new Derby manager?

This is another good reason to move straight to a DB2 connection, since I
assume that's your ultimate goal (to use DB2 data). But in any case, EGL is
designed to run fine on Tomcat, you'll just export your project as a WAR
file and deploy it as normal. As long as your JDK is high enough on the
host, you should be fine, although you want to be running Tomcat 5 at the
very least. Tomcat will show you its version in the initial welcome page if
you haven't changed that.

Again, if you've configured your project to talk to DB2 on the host, you
won't have to change anything to test it (although eventually you'll
probably want to use the native driver rather than the standard
multi-platform JDBC driver).

Joe