I still try to get the 2 before backups whenever possible. A good high
availability setup makes that much more painless because the users are
working away on the 'other' system.

I was involved in a pretty complex MES migration from a 530 to a 730 years
ago that was making use of many components of the 'old' system. I forget
the details, but at some point we deviated and tried to save a few minutes
by turning some piece of the puzzle off while a save or restore was
running... that component was something that controlled power to the 9309
rack housing the 3480 libraries and we ended up with damaged tape device
descriptions AND a damaged/corrupted tape. The second 'before' save was
very useful that night. It was much better to be able to proceed on with
the other set of tapes (and finish the migration) rather than scramble to
get back to where we had started after being down for many hours (a big
deal in the hospital world).

I haven't been sorry very many times for being 'too cautious', but i've
seen alot of people pretty sorry more than a few times for not being
cautious.

James.Hawkins@abb
ott.com
Sent by: To
midrange-l-bounce midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
s@xxxxxxxxxxxx cc

Subject
11/29/2007 03:45 RE: Wisdom of just a SAVSYS after
PM an upgrade

Please respond to
Midrange Systems
Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@midra
nge.com>

To my way of thinking the question isn't as much do we need the SAVSYS
from after the upgrade so much as the SAVSYS from before.

Look at this way, the only thing you will use the before SAVSYS for is in
the event that your upgrade goes belly-up. Otherwise you basically are
going to toss it. The SAVSYS from after is going to be your basis of a
restore in the event of disaster until you perform the next SAVSYS. Don't
get me wrong, I am not advocating the omitting of the before SAVSYS-just
stating that it is for a shorter support duration. I don't want to go
through the upgrade a second time just because I'm restoring from old save
tapes.

I have even encountered people who advocate not one but two full system
saves before and after any major system change (like an upgrade) in case
one of the tapes happens to be bad.

Thank you,
- Jim