On 11/20/07, Pete Massiello <pmassiello-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Where in God's name do you come up with this stuff?

Ever had to work a 515 with 2 70GB disks and 1 GB RAM? They're slow.
Awfully slow. And they cost a lot of money (around 15'000 CHF), and
are one of IBM's "Express Advantage" configurations - customer's want
them, because the System i is expensive enough as it is - they don't
want to buy 6 additional 70GB arms for 1500 CHF each.

posts that you understand workloads so why would you recommend a 515 with a
small amount of memory. We put in a 515 with all 8 (15K RPM) drives, and it

I never would. However, i don't have any decisive authority about what
our customers buy and what not. I know that an 8 arm / 4GB 515
performs decently - the IBM offered and advertised configuration
(2x70, 1GB) however does not.

Memory has always been a huge performance enhancer in AS/400s,
iSeries, and i5s. I would imagine it will continue to be in power 6 as
well.

Well, that's true on any platform.

I will agree that a 270 can be a little slow with applications like
WebSphere, but what is the configuration of the 270. We had one that was

QU2 - which is using plain Tomcat/Java, not the Websphere monster,
takes around an HOUR (thats 60 minutes) to start on an 8 arm/512MB
model 270.

profitability of a 595, but I was wondering why you say that IBM doesn't
give a sh*t about small customers.

If they did, they would offer initial configurations that would be
sensible, and have more fair prices.

The best comparison is hard drives: A 70GB, 15kRPM 3.5" U320 Disk for
a System i costs around 1500 CHF. The same disk for a System x costs
around 400 CHF.

And that's the reason why a 15'000 CHF 515 is outperformed by my 2500
CHF T60, running Vista.

An another note, the 500/600 CPW 520's were a lot worse than the 515.
It got a tiny bit better.