Well, It works, it's easy to setup and maintain, it's reliable and it works on every laser printer we have from an 8 year old HP to a 5 year old IBM to a 2 month old Xerox, so why change it when there are lots and lots of other projects that need attention. I have read about the PJL driver support and the only advantage I saw was the ability to send page ranges which we don't do except on some very large jobs but those do not go to network lasers in offices they always to go to our high speed Xerox printer in the data center which is doing 3819 emulation

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Wilt, Charles
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2007 4:46 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Using Windows LPD software to print from an iSeries

Why are you still using RMTOUTQ?

Of all the print protocols supported by the System i, LRD/LPR via remote outq should be your very last
choice.

For networked lasers, create a DEVD and specify a SYSDRVPGM() value. *IBMIPPDRV or *IBMSNMPDRV are
better choices followed by *HPPJLDRV and *IBMPJLDRV.

It's easy to replace the RMTOUTQ with a DEVD and OUTQ of the same name, that way you can keep using
the OUTQ name to send to the printer.

Start here:
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.NSF/acf2ee1e9d64b16e8625680b00020389/455975a3bf2ac71e862569f9006b
a227?OpenDocument