QADBIFLD gives you a list of all the fields on files.

QADBXREF gives you details of all files on the system

QADBFDEP gives you lists of file dependencies.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Elvis Budimlic" <ebudimlic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 11:17 PM
Subject: RE: System files to query

Jim,

I find SQL catalogue views easier to understand and use and they're
documented better. You can see available catalogue views by doing:

WRKF QSYS2/SYS*

That said, I inevitably find myself hunting down information in the base
system cross reference files, as catalogue views often don't have everything
I'm looking for (especially if it's DDS specific).
I never really saw an authoritative write up on system's cross reference
files so I usually do:

WRKF QSYS/QADB*

and take it from there.
If you're up for some reading, here are some IBM links that may or may not
prove helpful:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&dc=DB520&dc=D900&dc=D800&dc=DA
900&dc=DA800&q1=qadbkfld+AND+AS400KBXXYYZZRCH&uid=nas14d153aecc63a0723862569
2f006f6448&loc=en_US&cs=UTF-8&lang=all

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/dbp/r
bafoxrefsyf.htm

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/topic/db2/rbafzmstcatalog.h
tm?tocNode=int_20292

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&dc=DB520&dc=D900&dc=D800&dc=DA
900&dc=DA800&q1=qadbkfld+AND+AS400KBXXYYZZRCH&uid=nas13a4d8916c537def3862565
c2007cea3e&loc=en_US&cs=UTF-8&lang=all

Even with all that, you may still have to do DSPFD to an outfile on occasion
:(
Good luck.

Elvis

Celebrating 10-Years of SQL Performance Excellence on IBM i5/OS and OS/400
http://centerfieldtechnology.com/training.asp