Here's a minimalist implementation of Joe's idea:

/* Program: KILLER */
/* End a job if it exceeds it's maximum-allowed run duration */
pgm ( &job &user &number &seconds )
dcl &job *char 10
dcl &user *char 10
dcl &number *char 6
dcl &seconds *dec (15 5)
dlyjob &seconds
endjob &number/&user/&job option(*immed)
monmsg CPF1321 /* Not found */
monmsg CPF1362 /* Has completed */
monmsg CPF1360 /* Already ending */
endpgm

/* Program: ROUTER */
/* Routing program to limit run duration of jobs */
/* Job queue QUSRNOMAX is assumed to be active, normally for subsystem
QUSRWRK */
/* Sample command to create the routing entry for this program: */
/* ADDRTGE SBSD(QBATCH) SEQNBR(909) CMPVAL(KILLER) PGM(ROUTER) */
/* Sample command to submite a run-duration limited job: */
/* SBMJOB CMD(...) RTGDTA(KILLER) */
pgm
dcl &job *char 10
dcl &user *char 10
dcl &number *char 6
dcl &seconds *dec (15 5) 600 /* Ten minutes */
dcl &jobq *char 10 'QUSRNOMAX'
rtvjoba &job &user &number
sbmjob job( &job ) cmd( call killer ( &job &user &number &seconds
) ) jobq( &jobq )
tfrctl qcmd
endpgm